Head of Submarine Channel
Submarine Channel is the world’s premiere destination for original transmedia documentaries, fiction, and genre-defying entertainment. Submarine Channel creates fresh content that exploits new technologies to tell stories in visually-exciting, multiple-format-friendly ways – including motion comics, online games, interactive documentaries, and video portraits about pioneering creatives from all over the world. Submarine Channel is part of the multiple award-winning production outfit Submarine, founded in 2000 by Bruno Felix and Femke Wolting, both pioneers in the Dutch media world.
Submarine’s productions regularly premiere in competitions of major international film festivals and have received numerous awards, including: Digital Emmy, Prix Europa, NHK Japan Prize, Peabody Award, and the SXSW Interactive Award.
Submarine Channel is aimed at an international audience interested in new ways of storytelling, transmedia and visual culture. Submarine Channel is a foundation. We are an open, informal and dynamic company. Our office is in the center of Amsterdam.
We are hiring a creative, smart, out-of-the-box thinker to lead our team in Amsterdam.
Your main responsibility is to develop and produce the creative process of interactive documentary projects, from the early stages of conception up until the moment of release, and taking the creative lead on Submarine Channel’s productions.
Specifically, this would require you to do any of the following things, in no particular order:
- Develop original interactive concepts and stories into executable projects
- Identify the main creative ambitions and challenges for each project
- Form creative teams to execute the projects and motivating the team to deliver their targets
- Financing projects by writing applications for funds, seeking (international) co-producers and partners, attracting brands and sponsors, you have a strong experience of developing funding strategies and achieving budgets in this media field
- Collaborate with interdisciplinary team of (international) creators and developers
- Manage the creative workflow of multiple projects at once
- In charge of quality assurance control for each phase of the project, i.e. make sure deliverables match up to Submarine Channel’s high quality standards
- Serve as an ambassador of Submarine Channel and present projects at international festivals and events
Relevant higher education (HBO/WO University or similar)
- are creative, smart, an out-of-the-box thinker, forward thinking, problem solving, and enthusiastic;
- have a strong knowledge of the interactive marketplace, including specific creative projects, clients, and individual producers, creatives, designers and developers;
- have experience with managing a team;
- have experience with fund applications and working with brands and sponsors;
- have 5 + years experience with development and production of interactive projects;
- have a network of creatives and technical developers;
- are a team player, ambitious, and result oriented;
- are not afraid of tight deadlines and publishing schedules;
- develop accurate and thorough project plans;
- can custom-build and manage freelance development teams for smaller projects;
- can identify, negotiate and book external vendors for larger efforts.
English: fluent in speaking and writing
Dutch: speaking and writing (preferred but not required)
What we offer
Working with a group of young, professional creatives in an informal atmosphere. Submarine Channel is located in a monumental building in the middle of Amsterdam (Lab111) with, in addition to a number of film production companies, a restaurant and a cinema.
Salary based on experience and training.
Interested? Please send your CV and letter of motivation to: email@example.com for more information on the company see submarinechannel.com or call Willeke Steenbeeke at +31-(0)20-8204966